An article about semifreddo al caffè could seem out of season for a lot of people, but then: who doesn’t like to have ice cream even though it’s cold outside?
This is for those of you who do not know (yet) what a semifreddo al caffè is: a cold dessert made with fresh cream, eggs, mascarpone and coffee that has originally been made in Italy. Like the caffè shakerato, this is one of the most popular coffee based drink/food for hot summer times in Italy and can be found almost everywhere.
But as we wrote right before, this being a cold dish doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to enjoy it in winter as well, hence the following easy-to-do recipe for a semifreddo!
What do you need
- Coffee (60ml)
- Egg yolks (5)
- Sugar (80g)
- Fresh cream (350mL)
- Mascarpone (100g)
How to prepare
- Pour the coffee in a pan and add the sugar in it, mix it then slowly make it boil by keeping the temperature under control
- While preparing the coffee syrup, separately prepare the egg yolks by whipping them
- Once the yolks are spongy and the coffee reached a temperature around 121°C, pour the coffee into the yolks and keep on whipping until the cream reaches an homogeneous state and cools down
- Whip the fresh cream until it starts getting firmer
- Add the mascarpone into the cream and mix
- Add the coffee mixture in it
- Keep on mixing and then pour the final result in small glasses and let it rest in the freezer for at least 5 hours.
- Take them out of the freezer about 10 minutes before consumption
- Optional step: Melt dark chocolate and pour it on top of your semifreddo
- Last step: Enjoy!